Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Two Down, ?? to Go!

I should have blogged this yesterday, but my plate was too full to add one other task. (By the way, who would have thought just 3 or 4 years ago that there would be such a verb as "blogged"? It actually sounds a little messy). Anyway ... Two years ago yesterday, I began my ministry as Director of Missions of Harvest Baptist Association. My first day on the job was a Sunday and I began by visiting the First Baptist Church in Boyd for the (very spiritual) reason that it was close to my home and I knew where it was. Two years and 47,000 miles later (yes, that is how many miles I have put on my Kia in the past two years) I have finally been to all 62 HBA churches. There are still a couple that I haven't been there for Sunday morning worship, but I have been to all of them for something. Some I have been to on several occasions. In many of them, I have had the privilege of preaching, leading in worship, or singing special (hopefully) music. A few months ago, I sang at the funeral of the mother of one of my close friends. When her pastor read her obituary, he mentioned that she grew up in Montague, went to school in Saint Jo, and graduated from High School in Nocona. As I listened, it amused me that I didn't even know where those places were two years ago. Now, they are a part of my life. Two years ago, I left a pastorate that I loved and only left because God made it abundantly clear that it was His will. Two years later, I stand amazed at the grace He has shown in allowing me to be part of what He is doing in HBA. Two years ago, I worked IN a system. I led (and sometimes pushed) ministries based on the vision and passion God had given me. Now I work ON a system, channeling my passion into assisting congregations with the agenda God has given them and seeking to foster a cooperative and interdependent ministry focus among those congregations. I don't measure success by what someone sees God doing in my visible ministries, but by what someone sees God doing through the ministries of our churches. Today, I heard that a crew from FBC Chico was at work building a ramp for a person in need. I found out about the need last week and sent out an email asking for someone to respond. I didn't know that anyone had taken on that project until it was already in process. Today, God is getting the glory. That may be one of my favorite parts of this ministry ... sharing a need and watching God move. I just want to say thanks to God and to each person who is a part of HBA for allowing me to be your partner in ministry and mission. We've got two years behind us and I am planning and praying for a whole lot more ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment