Monday, June 28, 2010

How's Your Focus? - Vision, Part 4

Remember your last vision exam? "Cover your right eye and read the lowest line you can on the chart ... now your left ... good!" If you are like me, a time came in your life when your vision began to need some correction to see clearly. The focus was not what it once was. (We won't mention anything about that being a sign of aging). Whatever the cause, the remedy is proper focus and the doctor has a prescription for helping us focus properly based on his or her expertise and training in the science of sight. So, can the vision of our churches get out of focus? Absolutely! How does it happen? My own personal bias is that it happens when a church gets too focused on ... are you ready for this ... the church! That's right, focusing on the church gets the church out of focus. What are WE going to do? Who are WE trying to reach? What is OUR ministry plan? What are OUR resources? Congregational vision statement number four on the mission wall at the HBA Mission Center says that we have a vision of ...

Kingdom focused congregations that recognize that the kingdom agenda of God extends beyond personal, congregational, associational, or denominational agendas.

Now that doesn't mean that what God is doing in one's personal life is not important. Nor does it mean that congregational, associational, and denominational visions and missions are passe. (I certainly don't want anyone to think that I am ready to bail on associational or denominational ministry--especially since God placed me here in HBA for this season of my ministry). What I mean is that we need eyes to see where God is at work in the world and where He might be inviting us to join Him ... are you ready for this ... even if it didn't originate in our yard. Jesus said it this way, "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you." (Matthew 6:33, NASB). During the 20 years I served as a pastor, I developed a simple philosophy ... if I would focus on the kingdom and keep a kingdom vision always before the church, the Lord Jesus Christ would take care of needs of this congregation. I am convinced that He did and I am convinced that He does. So, how's your focus?

No comments:

Post a Comment